The Training Institute
In 1948 NPAP became the pioneering institute for training men and women from diverse backgrounds for the profession of psychoanalysis. The NPAP Training Institute evolved from seminars by Theodor Reik, a student of Sigmund Freud. Reik came to this country in June 1938 and was a major voice in psychoanalysis until his death in 1969. Mindful of a legacy reaching back to Freud and Theodor Reik’s position as a non-medical analyst, the Institute currently offers comprehensive psychoanalytic training that encompasses a range of theoretical orientations designed to prepare candidates for the professional practice of psychoanalysis.
The Training Institute is separate from NPAP’s Membership Association and has its own structure, function, and Board of Trustees. The Institute is chartered under the Education Law of the State of New York by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York. An Absolute Charter from the New York State Board of Regents was granted on February 24, 1967. The training program meets requirements for New York State licensure in psychoanalysis.
NPAP’s administrative building at 40 West 13th Street contains offices where candidates may see patients. Classes are sometimes held in the building as well, although most classes are held n instructors’ offices. Candidates from all over the world have traveled to NPAP to receive psychoanalytic training. Currently the Institute has more than 100 candidates and over 350 active members (see Membership Directory section). NPAP’s large and diversified membership encourages collegiality and provides candidates with a wide choice of personal psychoanalysts, super-visors, and instructors.